Monday, 21 March 2011

Blood sweat and tears

Hello there again.

Again I was at a loss ot what to write this time but an idea hit me, I thought I would introduce you to my most sacred object.

Now there are few things that you would rescue from a fire, after the wife and the kids (obviously) There are those things that rush through your mind that you wish you could save. Photos, memory boxes, ornaments etc.

If the house ever caught fire, this is the only thing I would even consider running through flames to collect.

Meet my best friend in the whole world:


What your looking at is my Artisan Acoustic guitar. Its not a particularly expensive guitar, but its all mine. I was given this guitar by my wife about 8 years ago and I have never loved a belonging as much as I do this guitar.

Now don’t get me wrong, I aint no guitarist, in fact I probably only know about a dozen songs and most of them aren’t mainstream, but I am what I like to call a plinker. I play what I feel at the time and it comes from the heart. I know probably ten different styles of music, from soft Latin to the very biggest country boom and I feel every note and it changes with my mood.

If I am sad, I play my guitar, if I am happy, I play, if im bored, I play. This one piece of wood and metal has probably seen more reflected energy than anything I have ever owned.
I do try to write songs and I have written a couple that I feel even pass for music. Some of them are sad and others happy, the result is that I have literally poured blood sweat and tears into it. This guitar knows more about me than anything ever could. :P

Its funny how a simple object can change a person so much. This little thing is a safe place for me in times of crisis. It’s a place I can go when im stressed, it’s a retreat in times of sadness, and its something I can literally beat the hell out of when im angry. My wonderful family can tell my mood simply by listening to me play.

But now I am on a new journey. I have the blues. Yes the Blues. After many years of searching I finally found a style of music than can be everything I ever wanted it to be. The blues can be sad, lonely, or uplifting and unbelievably crazy. It’s a style of music than runs through every other style of music in western culture from Dance to heavy Metal. The best thing about blues is like Jazz – its always different. It’s a living thing and it changes from second to second.

I told my wonderful other half this and this was the result:


Its an exact replica of Clapton’s “Blackie” Fender Strat. Again it wasn’t expensive but it sounds beautiful. And im sure that in time I will be able to make it cry.

But before that can happen – I need to start a journey. As of about 3 months ago I vowed to start learning to play properly, and slowly but surely I am getting there.

I try to practice whenever I can and im sure i drive Lynn nuts by playing endless blues scales at all hours. She just smiles and tells me she likes it. (strange) I am now told off if i take them out of the living room where they are always kept now.

Sure it will take a long time and ill never be as good as other guitarists. I cant read music for a start, my genetic code decided to make me dyslexic so im essentially blind to music sheet, but I was gifted with a good ear, so I generally don’t care about it.

So, there you have it. You have met my guitars. (well my main ones I have 4 of them)

Perhaps I will one day even be good enough to get on a stage and try to play like one of the all time greats. BB King, or Eric Clapton. Or even with years and years of dedication the great Brian May. Who can tell.

Lynn, I thank you from the bottom of my very greatful heart for my Guitars. You are and always will be – my life.



PS – I do share!


No comments:

Post a Comment